Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cooper and I made the local paper again on 5-27-11


Paula Jean's special bond by Brittany Bulens


Pembroke —Paula Jean of Pembroke has formed a unique connection to her 5-year-old Bichon frise Cooper.

Jean, who works as a teaching assistant for the Pilgrim Area Collaborative, found her passion for motorcycle riding after putting her last dog to sleep, although she has always suffered from separation anxiety.

“It’s something I’ve had all my life,” she said. “I’ve never been out of New England.”

Jean’s condition restricted her from enjoying some of the small pleasures in life, but that would all change when she met Cooper.

“I went six years without a dog, until I decided I wanted to train one,” she said.

Jean raised Cooper from the time he was born to be a therapeutic dog.

“The training process and focusing on his behavior in public became a compulsion,” she said, “It was a distraction from my anxiety.”

At 10 weeks, Cooper took his first ride in the motorcycle. The combination of her new companion and her love for riding sparked Jean’s transition into a freer lifestyle. Jean and Cooper spend a lot of time riding together, and this past weekend rode for 505 miles, bringing Cooper’s total to more than 20,000 miles.

“Last summer, Cooper and I went camping together, just me and him on the bike to Connecticut,” she said, “And that is really a huge deal for me.”

The trip proved to be a significant triumph for Jean, who said, “I could have never done that before.”

While Jean enjoys riding with Cooper in a few groups, such as Women on Wheels and New England Thunder, their camaraderie continues to open new doors for Jean.

“There was an article written about us in ‘Dog Fancy,’” she said. “But after the writer interviewed me, I asked her questions about how she does it.”

Jean became instantly interested in the writing process.

“Since then I have sold an article for ‘Highway Travel,’ written four children’s stories and am looking for an agent,” she said.

Jean will be making a cross-country trip this summer with Cooper to California for the 25th annual National Women on Wheels ride in. If she is able to sell her Pembroke home, Jean will head west, with Cooper harnessed behind her, starting on June 24. She will be back in mid-August to begin work again and the building of her new house, but for the ride home she says there is no set agenda.

“Cooper has changed my life,” she said. “He has made my world big and ever-expanding.”


4 comments:

  1. Paula Jean, It was great riding with you and Cooper yesterday to the Lobster Pot for lunch and then back to Plymouth. The weather was wonderful and it was truly scenic and enjoyable with good friends. I hope we can do it again. Your friend, Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy! It was a WONDERFUL DAY! I hope we are able to ride together on another day. Cooper was EXHAUSTED at the end of the day and fell asleep within 10 minutes of being home at the end of the day. Happy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you Paula Jean! I LOVE that you asked questions about writing and dared to write and that you sold an article and wrote your books! Your hard work, passion for your life and Cooper...so inspiring! I'm glad I met you! How a chance meeting can change our lives eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky :) I have a long way to go but I owe it all to you. YOU inspired ME. If it hadn't been for you interviewing me for Dog Fancy Magazine we would never have crossed paths. Thank you for your guidance and assistance in getting this blog started almost two years ago. It's hard to believe it's been that long ago, yet it seems almost like a life time.
      I hope to spend time together again some day. XOX

      Delete