Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Sunday, April 17, 2011

Cooper's Annual Check-Up


Cooper visited his new vet yesterday.  I changed doctors for him because his old vet wouldn't listen to me or answer any of my questions.  I never liked that for my kids, my self or my animals.  I'm an active decision maker with my loved ones, and wasn't going to go another year with the vet who would just do things her way without considering my suggestions.


 When Cooper was little he had really bad allergic reactions to a couple of his shots and to Frontline.  The vet gave him benedryl shots to manage the reactions.  I also went to the drug store and got it in pill form in order to keep him medicated until the reaction was over.  

He was so little and I was afraid to change his vet then since she was the one who got him through these times.    I didn't really like how she would say what she was "going to do" rather than ask me what I think about it.  I allowed it to go on for a couple years.  I argued with her a little a couple of times.  

One time I won.  This was when she neutered him.  I refused to leave him there over night.  She said she didn't feel comfortable letting me take him home after because something could happen.  My argument was, if something DID happen, she wouldn't know it until she came back the next morning.  I would know immediately because I would be with him all night.  She still argued, so I told her the choices were, she could do the neuter and I would take him home when he woke up, or someone else could do the neuter and I would take him home when he woke up.  She wasn't happy, but she did it and I was there to pick him up when he woke up.      

The rest of the arguments she refused to budge on her decision.  Most of these arguments were about trying to give Cooper his shots without the benedryl.  He hadn't had to have the pills after the shot in a long time.  I tried to convince her for two years.  Her answer was an absolute 'NO'.  I couldn't sway her.  Because of this I was determined to get Cooper a better vet this year if it KILLED me.  

My friend Donna told me about a vet she started working with last year.  It was after Cooper's last years visit so it was already too late for last year.  When this year rolled around I was ready.  I called them a few weeks ago and made the appointment.  

I remembered that she had told me it was a much more relaxed environment for the animals.  She wasn't kidding.  When we got there Cooper wasn't nervous at all outside.  He was great and loved the smells of the other animals.  He was a little nervous when we got inside, but I think he just didn't know what was going to happen.  Some smells must have been familiar to him.  They probably brought back fears he had from before as any dog has when they get to the vet's office.


Cooper did great yesterday.  He weighs more now than he ever has at 21.8 pounds!  He's not fat, but he could stand to loose a pound.  We'll get to that for sure.  Spring is here so he'll be outside more.  The doctor was great with him.  He was a little nervous, but not once as bad as he had been with the old vet.  This vet was slower, more attentive, gave him sweet attention as he did the exam so Cooper couldn't tell he was being poked and prodded.  The vet stopped half way through the exam and took the time to break a treat up to feed it to him piece by piece and praise him for being a good boy.

As the doctor continued with the exam we talked of the pros, cons and methods of giving Cooper his shots.  He agreed to try giving Cooper his rabies vaccine without the benedryl shot to see what happened.  We gave him the shot, and then decided to go outside to see if we could get a fecal sample.  I told the vet that Cooper will poop on command (and he did).  The vet came outside with me to keep an eye on Cooper since he had just had the shot.  I thought that was great!  Cooper got to investigate a little fish pond while we were outside and he got to pee on anything he wanted to pee on.  Great smells were everywhere.  

When we got back inside, he sat on the bench until I paid for the visit.  We were given wormer so I can worm Cooper in two doses and we made appointments for the other two shots Cooper will receive.  We made sure it was with the same vet so he could watch carefully, first hand to make sure there would be no reactions.  VERY impressive.  

By the time I was done paying, another small dog had come in.  I told Cooper to stay on the bench until I could watch him with the other dog.  The other owner was fine with them meeting, so I took Cooper's leash off and allowed them to play.  Cooper was very happy with this!  He got along well right away with the little dog.  They were so cute together.  I wish I had taken pictures.

Shortly after his play time I left with Cooper since it had been more than half an hour since his shot.  I didn't think there would be any reaction if nothing had happened by then.  We went on an errand then home.  Cooper was great all day.  Best ever after an immunization of any kind.  What a relief.  Usually I had to really struggle with him for four or five hours until the benedryl wore off.  He would seem as though he was crawling right out of his skin.  This time was FANTASTIC.


A couple hours later, my phone rang.  It was THE VET!  He was calling to see how Cooper was!  I couldn't believe it!  What a great courtesy to give.  If he hadn't already won me over, he did with this gesture!  I was feeling great about that.  About an hour later, they called AGAIN!  This time it was to tell me his blood work and fecal sample were all clear of any problems.  WOW!  I think I need to call Donna to thank her for the great lead!



Cooper hangin' out on Donna's bike






4 comments:

  1. Finding a good, reliable vet (who listens) IS hard! Been there so many times - very happy for both of you!!! Tell Donna we said "thanks!" for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure will. I actually sent her this post so she could read it. I told her to read your comment too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I HATE my vet. I'm looking for another. There's a HUGE growth where she gave Koko a shot the ONE AND ONLY TIME I took Koko to her. It looks like a an oak gall...and I know it's from the vaccination. She said she'd look at it - for another $150!! And she is the one who caused it!! So I'm looking for a good vet too. Vets think they're God and they're not. I am glad you found a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear it Becky. I'm not sorry I left the only vet Cooper has ever been to (except one in NY when he got an ear infection). I'll never doubt myself again. I should have done this last year.
    Poor Koko. I hope you find a great vet. You could always come here! :oD

    ReplyDelete