Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Thursday, April 21, 2011

Meeting Dee Gagnon



Last year I borrowed a book from another member of my chapter of SSWOW.  The book was written by Dee Gagnon.  She used to be the director of my chapter before I joined the group.  I had read about half of the book before going to the 2010 National Ride-in in VT.  I was enjoying the book that was an account of Dee's solo travels across the US on her motorcycle.  She had written in a journal almost every night and logged her miles daily.  She slept in a tent, at hostels or as a guest in people's houses if offered.

Her story was so inspiring and exhilarating.  I felt a connection with Dee because we know some of the same people and we both ride.  I want to do what she was doing in the pages I read.  


At the ride-in, someone made sure we got to meet.  I got to buy my own copy of her book, "Dee Tours", and she autographed it for me.  We took a picture and she and I wrote back and forth a little bit, sending photographs  to each other.  In her letters she inspired me to 'just do it' when I talked of taking the summer off to do as she had done.  The unfortunate thing for me is that I still have my mortgage to pay and all my utilities to keep up with as well.  To just leave would allow my whole world to crumble while I was off playing.


No, I need to sell my house first.  I hope to do this soon.  Dee has invited me to visit her during my travels.  I totally plan to take her up on the offer.  As things stand now, I see my summer as follows...

School ends June 17th and my house sells before then.  I will pay off my bills, pay up our storage for the summer, and Jesse is trying to get an unpaid leave from work for the summer (or he'll quit).  I have been already acquiring needed items for me and Cooper to pull it off in the most comfortable way.  I plan to carry basic camping supplies, all of Cooper's needs and basic needs for me.  Jesse will pack his bike with only his needs since his bike won't hold as much as mine does.  I would like to leave around June 20th to go to the 2011 National Women On Wheels® ride in in CA.  We can take the full two weeks to get there.  When that is over, we will have the rest of the summer to do with as we wish.  Visit, sight see, take pictures, write some of the stories that will be contained in my book about Cooper.  

With any luck, this will all be a reality soon.  I'm really looking forward to my first summer off in 16 years.  This will be awesome. 



No comments:

Post a Comment