Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Sunday, April 3, 2011

Everyone Loves A Parade!

Our First Parade on my old bike

Our First Parade - small town 4th of July celebration

I've mentioned in earlier posts that I have participated in parades with my motorcycle group, New England Thunder.  I have ridden in four parades with them over the course of a couple of years.  Two of the parades were small local parades for Fourth of July celebrations.  The other two where Pride Parades in Boston.  These parades were huge, with thousands of spectators.  We would meet another group of women motorcyclists and all ride into Boston.  We were a group of about 50 motorcycles all ridden by women.  We had to get through Boston to the staging area while staying together in a group.  The other group knew the way well and would make this seemingly impossible task simple to say the least.  They would block intersections and we would GO GO GO!  Police approved of our method since it was so well organized.  They knew where we were going so it made their job a bit easier.



Small town Parade - 4th of July


Waiting too begin


All lined up

Other motorists might have mixed emotions concerning our approach to getting into Boston together.  I do have to say though, most were happy to see so many bikes, excited to realize we were all women, and a few on-lookers were AMAZED to catch a quick glimpse of the little white dog on the back of the big purple motorcycle.  He barked with excitement of all the bikes as we continued on, keeping pace with our leader.  It must have been an awesome sight.

When we got to the staging area in Boston we would decorate our bikes and ourselves too. I tied Cooper to my bike and allowed him to roam and socialize while I decorated my bike in red, white and blue.  I created a shade over my rear bike seat to prevent Cooper from being in the sun the whole time.  He would wear a red, white and blue lei and sit like a prince under the shade on my bike.

New England Thunder
Pride Parade '09

I always wear boots and jeans when I ride, but when I ride in a parade I like to wear shorts and bare feet.  No helmets are worn during parades either.  Less gear made for a much more comfortable parade in the sun.

Pride Parade '09 - lined up and waiting

When it came time to line up, the bikes lead the parade. Reporters were everywhere.  The streets were lined thick with onlookers who cheered and clapped and pointed when they saw Cooper.  When we would stop every hundred feet or so I could get Cooper to wave.  He would bark and wag.  If he saw someone in a wheel chair he would focus and strain to go see that person.  Sometimes I could pull over close enough to give individual attention to who Cooper picked out of the crowd.  

Pride Parade '09 - here we go!

People took pictures of Cooper.  We have made it on video on YouTube(at 2:19 I'm in the middle of the screen behind another bike.  Not a good shot of Cooper.  You'll have to look close.)  I know we were in magazines too but haven't seen even one article.  Folks have told me they saw some but I couldn't find them.

This is always such a fun day.  I would love to do this parade every year, or do other local parades.  There are so many other rides we can choose from that sometimes the other choice is the better one.  No matter how much fun I may have had on the other ride, I always feel I missed a great time if I miss the parade.  

No comments:

Post a Comment