Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Captain Cooper!

A few years ago, I found out about a sailing program run out of Andy's home town.  The program helps people with special needs get out in a sail boat.  If the participants are capable of actual lessons, they got lessons.  If not, they got a beautiful two hour ride around the bay.  Andy loved the idea of sailing, but the first time we went, Andy let me know that he wanted Cooper to come too.  


I checked with the sailing program coordinator, and he said it would be fine if Cooper came along.  The only requirements were that he would be well behaved, containable (leashed or well trained) and he would need a life jacket.  No problem with the first two, but the life jacket would be tough on such short notice.  We had two weeks to find one.  Andy insisted Cooper have a yellow life jacket to match the one I gave Andy for his birthday.

I looked in magazines, on line, etc.  They were all really expensive for just going sailing one time.  There was a real chance we may only sail once if Andy didn't enjoy himself.  I wanted to see about perhaps borrowing one.  We had been driving around and I saw an army/navy store open.  They had kayaks out front with life jackets for adults and children advertised in the window.  I decided to run in and ask.  

I left Cooper and Andy in the car while I ran in.  I asked the clerk, and she said there was only one jacket left.  They had had them for a long time and weren't going to carry them any more because they weren't a big seller.  They were selling it at a huge discount.  They may have given it to me if I had played my cards right.  I didn't even care if it was a little too big or small.  I could make it fit with how crafty I am.

The clerk led me to where the life jacket was.  I couldn't believe it!  It looked like it was his size.  And it was YELLOW!  It must have been sitting there waiting for me.  I can't believe how perfect it was.  They allowed me to bring Cooper in to try it on.  It was a perfect fit.  Not a flaw on it.  It was a little dusty but otherwise perfect!

I bought it!  Cooper and I went out to the car where Andy had been waiting.  I told him "I bought it and it's yellow!"  Andy let out a screech of happiness and laughed like crazy when I told him about it being the last one and a perfect fit.  What a lucky day!

About a week later we went sailing.  There was a lot to do to get Andy on the boat.  Cooper had to behave and stay where I told him to stay while we lifted Andy into the boat, position him in the chair and strap him to support him so he wouldn't fall out of the chair.  Cooper was perfectly well behaved.  He wasn't totally calm about the process.  I think he felt the need to protect Andy because there were three other people, who Cooper didn't know, helping with either Andy or the boat.


Once we were under way, in the same way he took to riding a motorcycle, Cooper was a natural.  He displayed calm acceptance and the wonderment of a child.  He sat with Andy and enjoyed his happy reactions.  He wandered the boat and looked at the water from every angle.  All was fine and I started relaxing my watch on him.  I realized he was comfortable, so I didn't worry about him doing  the wrong thing.


THEN, Cooper saw a buoy!  I'm glad I saw him notice it.  He would have been 'puppy overboard' in about three seconds if I hadn't told him 'No'.  He was going to go get it with a splash!  Of course, Andy had to laugh at me because I was startled by Cooper's reaction to this Big Bobbing Balloon in the water.  Man did he want to pop that bad boy!  He loves to pop balloons.  

Once Cooper understood that he couldn't have the buoys, I had to go through the same process for the birds.  His interest in the birds wasn't as intense but he did stand at attention at the sight of them so close to us and the water.  Birds landing in the water were of special interest.  

By the end of our first sailing trip, Cooper was a pro and so was Andy.  Two hours passed so quickly.  The weather had been perfect.  The boat glided along so quietly.  We could have easily enjoyed another couple of hours. 

When our trip was over, Cooper had to repeat his well behaved allowance of us getting Andy out of the boat and settled back into his wheel chair.  Another successful adventure for the history books, and now for a blog too.

No comments:

Post a Comment