Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Threshold Training

I trained Cooper through the whole winter.  My intention was to have a really strong start on his training when riding season began.  Training was a great winter activity for us.  We had so much fun bonding and establishing a fantastic relationship.  We had so much to do and I loved watching Cooper learn.  I didn't really even dread the winter as I normally do.  Just the opposite actually.  I loved to watch Cooper marvel at the snow the first time he saw it.  He pawed, sniffed then sneezed, tasted, barked, pounced and eventually rolled in the snow.  He hardly even knew I was there.  
This was the best way I could think of to enjoy my winter.  He loved the snow.  We would throw snow balls to him and he would try to catch them.  I actually had to get him an orange rain jacket.  Rain jacket because a dog with hair doesn't have the undercoat or water repellant hair.  He was getting soaked to the skin when he was playing in the snow.  Orange, because we couldn't see him in the snow!  He would absolutely disappear when he stood still.  We still tend to put coats on him when he goes out in the winter, for the same reasons.

His training was going great too.  He came to Andy's with me every time I went.  I taught him that he couldn't cross a threshold at Andy's house.  In Andy's kitchen there are four thresholds.  Two lead into other parts of the house, one into the garage and one outside.  While there, I didn't want him to think he could have the run of the house.  Especially while he was potty training.  The kitchen is huge and comfortable, so he was trained that no matter where I went, he had to stay in that room.  When Andy gets home from his day program we have to prop the door open to get him and his wheel chair in the house.  They live on a busy street, so the most important threshold he was forbidden to cross was the front door.  

While On Vacation With Andy


This rule wasn't too hard to teach to Cooper.  Having already been taught the word 'No', I opened the door, stood outside it facing him and when he thought about going out I told him 'no'.  If he moved toward the door, I stood in his way and repeated, 'no'.  If he looked past me again, 'no'.  If I walked out of the propped open door and he tried to follow, I would stop and put my hand in front of him, not touching him, 'no'.  I never touched him unless I had to.  Note: If you push a dog they push back.  It's in their nature.  Know this and don't push or hold a dog back.  Expect/teach them to do it on their own. 

It didn't take long for Cooper to understand where his boundaries were.  He was very good.  I can leave the door open now when ever I want, and even if someone is walking their dog down the side walk, Cooper stays at the threshold of the open door.  Of course he's CRYING because he wants to go meet and play with the dog, but unless I tell him it's ok, he won't cross.

As you can imagine, this rule has proven to be handy in so many areas.  We stay in hotels, motels, tents, visit folks, etc.  It's nice to give him a threshold he can't cross and trust that he won't.  We can relax in knowing he's going to behave and stay put while we unpack the bikes, set up tents, go to the bathroom, what ever.  He doesn't like being left, but he understands it.  It's impressive to watch.



By the way, this works with not getting out of the car AND not getting off the bike unless he's told it's ok.  It's a GREAT SKILL to teach.  I'm so glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment