Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Guest Blog Written By Lisa Simmons

 Biker Buffy/Dogs on Hogs/Mutts on Motorcycles ~ Lisa Simmons  

Ever since my first ride on my motorcycle nearly two years ago I have wanted to bring my BFF Buffy along for the ride.  She loves to ride in the car and hang her head out like every other warm blooded pooch does and she always watches longingly from her chair by the window as I ride away down the street on my motorcycle.  For those of you who don’t know Buffy she is a 9 ½ year old Miniature Poodle.  She has been with me since she was 7 weeks old.  Buffy and I did five semesters of Dog School when she 
was younger and the benefits of these classes have lasted a lifetime for both of us.   

Buffy & Cooper talking on Facebook
While I was attending the Women on Wheels (WOW) Annual Ride-in at Stratton Mountain Vermont last year I met a fabulous lady biker named Paula Jean and her faithful companion Cooper.  Cooper is a four year old Bichon Frise’ therapy/service dog.  He has over 20,000 riding miles on Paula Jean’s Honda Gold Wing.  Paula and Cooper are members of the Women on Wheels South Shore chapter in Boston.  You can even read about them in the June 2011 Issue of Dog Fancy – Highway Buddies by Becky Blanton. 

Paula Jean and I have been corresponding via Facebook since 
meeting last summer.  She has given me many tips for training Buffy 
to be a responsible canine passenger.  We have been taking it very 
slow as Buffy’s first experience with the bike was the loud pipes and 
she was very timid to start.  Our first tip was to have “special treats” 
just for motorcycle related things.

We started with getting treats while next to the parked bike.  Buffy would take the treat and run to a safe distance though after several minutes she no longer saw the threat and stayed next to the bike waiting for the next treat.  The next day, we started the bike and did the same training.  Again after several minutes she stayed next to the bike while it was running.  Already we are seeing progress!  After several days of this – I didn’t want to rush her – I sat on the parked bike with her in my arms.  She didn’t mind this at all so I sat her on the seat.  My bike is rather narrow and hard for her to hold on to but she did fine.  I have since purchased a sheep skin seat cover that she likes much better!  The next day, I started the bike and then sat with her on the bike.  Buffy knew she would be getting a treat so she was ok with it.  It wasn’t long she was sitting on the running bike all by herself.  

I have been researching motorcycle carriers for dogs all the while Buffy was going through her initiation. The first fact I found was that these are very expensive.  I didn’t want to spend the money if Buffy wasn’t going to like to ride.  Paula and I discussed this at length and came up with a plan to build one.  I searched high and low for a milk crate type of box that Buffy could sit in and I could secure to the bike with bungee cords.  Apparently one should purchase these during back-to-school sales or steal one from 
behind the 7/11 and I didn’t want to do that.  So I went with plan 
B.  I found a plastic container that Buffy would fit in.  We practiced 
getting in and sitting still for several minutes at a time so she 
would not be afraid when she got in it on the bike. 


We modified the plastic tote to allow for the bungee cords to secure it, added some foam padding below and inside for comfort, and added some restraints to keep her from jumping out.  Of course we had to dress it up with some “Buxton Chrome” a.k.a. duct tape and a strip of reflective material for visibility. 









On Mother’s Day 2011 Buffy took her first ride.  We took it very slow around the block once.  Then down the road we went.  First stop was the gas station.  She got lots of looks, points, and smiles.  The next stop was a friend’s house where she got down to run around and I was pleasantly pleased when she jumped back into my arms when it was time to go back in the carrier.  We rode around town for a few more minutes then back home to celebrate.  When I got home from work on Monday we loaded up and took another spin around the block.  I am hoping to get several small rides in to see if she gets more comfortable and then get her a permanent carrier where she can lay down and relax a little. 

3 comments:

  1. Dang we do good work! Thanks for letting me share my story on your blog!

    Buffy sends wags to Cooper!

    Hugs,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wags back to our girl Buffy.
    Yeah, we're good like that. You're welcome to guest blog any time. You have great stories too. I'd love to get updated stories on Buffy's riding every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wags back to our girl Buffy.
    Yeah, we're good like that. You're welcome to guest blog any time. You have great stories too. I'd love to get updated stories on Buffy's riding every now and again.

    ReplyDelete