Welcom to our Blog!

Welcome to our Blog!
We're so happy to share our smiles and wags with you! Click here to 'Join This Site' . Become a member with other "Friends Of Cooper" in following his stories. Share us with your friends! We'll be happy to share our adventures and memories with ALL of you!
Check out the Blog Archives to read about our cross country motorcycle road trip from MA to CA in the summer of 2011. During that trip we attended the Annual 2011 National Women On Wheels® Ride-In in San Jose CA. Then we just rode. We traveled over 11,000 motorcycle miles in what ever direction we wanted to go for 61 days. We visited friends and family, saw the country, met some amazing people. We made memories we'll never forget. These memories are what THIS BLOG is made of! That was only the beginning. We've been traveling and riding and blogging every since then. Enjoy our stories while we make MORE memories worthy of posting here for your enjoyment.


Sunday, May 15, 2011

Second Shot - NO Reaction!!!!

Cooper went for his second shot.  He likes his new vet.  He is still nervous when he goes to visit because of the trauma of getting a shot.  No dog likes to get a shot.

Cooper really likes his vet a lot.  His name is Dr. Quigley.  He comes out to the waiting room to say a special hello when ever we go for a visit.

Cooper gets to investigate while hanging around after his shot.

I have Cooper stay alone on a bench while he waits.  I think he's much more comfortable when he doesn't have the freedom to roam around.  Once he's able to investigate you can see his stress level grow.  Also, when I sit with him he tends to want attention until I touch him, then he wants to be left alone.  If I don't get close to him he is more able to self-reguate and stay calmer.

He really likes this pond.

So when it was Cooper's turn to go in the exam room for his shot, he came in off leash, well behaved and willing.  I put Cooper on the table, but he did NOT want to be up there.  I allowed him down while we waited.  He got up on the chair by the window and was looking out when the Doctor came in.  Cooper didn't even want a treat this time.  Not even after it was broken up. He was much more nervous this time.

This is what the yard looks like where Cooper gets to pee and sniff after his shots

The doctor gave Cooper is shot while he was on the chair.  We waited for a few minutes, then went to the waiting room.  There was another woman there with her dog.  We started talking.  I looked through the magazines in the waiting room.  I found the June issue of Dog Fancy Magazine to show to the woman with the dog and the ladies who work at the vets.  I also wrote down my blog address for them to look at if they wanted to.

Great place to hang around if you've gotta hang around, huh?

After a little while we went outside so Cooper could do his "pee patrol".  Dr. Quigley came out to see how Cooper was doing with the shot this time.  We agreed he was doing great.  I'm so happy to be able to get his shots done with way fewer injections.  It's cheaper for me and much less traumatic for Cooper.  I wish I had changed vets a LONG TIME AGO.

By the way, Dr. Quigley called again a few hours after our appointment to see how Cooper was feeling.  AWESOME!

4 comments:

  1. I have been going to the same vet for 15 years and just hate to leave them. However for the last 2 1/2 years it is a 25 mile trip one way to get there. I am really glad that they took such good care of Buffy during her leg surgeries. I was given the name of a good vet local and have to get over to meet them and see how Buff does there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll know if it's right. I would travel for a good vet, but I have to admit, it's a LOT easier when the vet is close. Cooper's last vet was about half the distance but even still... this new vet is only 20 or 25 minutes away. No biggie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try a "thundershirt" for dogs. It's awesome for helping them calm down when they're afraid. http://www.thundershirt.com/ Koko doesn't mind shots, but she reacts horribly to them - the last shot she got resulted in a walnut sized tumor on her back where she got the shot. My vet SUCKS. I'll never go back to Dr. Johnson in Fluvanna County, VA again...horrible. Koko was happy and healthy BEFORE her shots and now - for the past 8 months she's been sick. And the vet doesn't care - she said bring her back and she'll "fix" it and charge me for it of course. When I told her the problem her assistant said, "So you're not bringing her back?" and was just worried about the money. Stupid vets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Becky! I looked at the Thundershirt web site! This looks like exactly what Cooper needs in the car. Thanks for the lead. Have you tried it or know anyone who has?
    I'm sorry for Koko's trouble. Poor thing. I hope you find a resolution for her.

    ReplyDelete